Whitney Burgess Forum
October 20, 2017, 05:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shooting Evans rifle - ammunition and handloading  (Read 5357 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »

I shoot quite a view of my old lever guns but have not shot an Evans.  Given the apparent unavailability of ammunition and oddity of components, it seems a formidible project.  Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has shot their Evans rifles and what their experience has been.
Fug

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »

Do you have 44 Evans or the 44 Long ? I have found several boxes of long

but have none of the 44 Evans. (short)

Fug
WK
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »

That's amazing.  While I have owned one Evans in the past and have always thought they were extremely interesting guns, I never had seen any rounds for the guns.  The rotary, high capacity magazine was quite an innovation for it's day!  I passed on a brown carbine in decent condition for $500.00 a couple years ago...still kicking myself on that one. Smiley
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »

My Evans is a later gun so I have to assume it is the longer cartridge. Fug - have you ever shot any of your Evans rifles?  I would enjoy even having some dummy rounds that I could cycle through the action.  WK - I bought my first Evans within the last year.  I always considered them very interesting and had rare opportunities to handle one.  A great way to study one is to buy one Wink
Fug

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

Have you read the book Maine Made Guns by Dwight B. Demeritt,Jr.It has the
life of the Evans how it was made how it works,for 65 pages you will get into
the heart of the gun. On page 323 you will see three views of an engraved
Evans transitional model military rifle musket with three barrel bands the engraving was by Louis D. Nimschke.
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »

Sounds like a book I need to get.  I will also list it in the reference tab here.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: