Whitney Burgess Forum
October 20, 2017, 05:08:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ammunition and loading cartridges for the small frame Bullard rifles  (Read 7640 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »

The small frame Bullard rifles seem to pose an even more difficult proposition to shoot than even the Evans rifle.  The .32-40 Bullard is a bottlenecked cartridge and bears little similarity to the standard .32-40 cartridge.  The .38-45 Bullard cartridge is also quite unique.  Is anyone shooting these cartridges and if so, how?  I am not aware of a supplier for cartridge cases.  I do have some data on making up cases from other calibers, but I am eager to hear if anyone has experience or knowledge on the topic.
NickD

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

Hi I have a Bullard in 38-45 and also 40-90 which I shoot. I make cases for the 38-45 from 303 British preferably Winchester brand as the brass is softer than other brands which I have tried. The process requires shortening the case and reducing the rim diameter to allow them to feed through the magazine, as I size my bullets to .375 the neck also requires reaming. The cases are very rough and last for many reloads. I finally size the case in a 44 Ballard extra long resizing die to ensure the finished case will chamber.

The 40-90 cases are made from 50-90 Sharps cases again shortening and trimming the rim to fit the magazine, they are then annealed and sized in the sizing die and are then ready for reloading.

Happy to share further information on loads powders and bullets used if anyone is interested.
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »

Thanks for the loading info.  As I suspected, quite a bit of extra process, particularly to get cases prepared.  What tool do you use to trim the rims of the cases?  I do not have a lathe and have been wondering what the easiest and least expensive tool it would take to accomplish this task.
NickD

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »

The case rims are trimmed on a lathe it would certainly be better if there were a small attachment to be had which was hand held but at present the lathe is the only tool which does it consistently. The cases can be fired without trimming if fed singly and the amount required to be trimmed in order to ensure they don't jam in the magazine tube is quite small.
schlicter

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

i have a 38-45 small frame repeater. i made the cases from 303 brittish. i had a 195 grain flat nose bullet mould made by steve brooks (montana) and used 13.5 grains of 4198. using open sights, no vernier, which i will add this week, i shot at a 200 yard target with a one inch white bull on a 5" red circle. at 50 yards out of 10 shots i had 8 in the white circle or touching themselves. they could be all covered with a us quarter. i also have a 40-70/75 bullard that i'm having steve brooks make a mould for. i would be interested in hearing from anyone who also shoots these and also if anyone has one they might want to sell or knows of anyone that might want to sell. thanks
admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »

Is your .38-45 marked Cal. 38 on the receiver or is it 38 with 45 directly below the 38?
Thanks!
NickD

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »

Hi
My rifle is marked Cal 38
schlicter

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

i'm looking to purchase any bullard, single shot or lever. please let me know. 301.908.6778. vic
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: